Somerset Premier Cup first round: Frome Town 3, Wellington 2

The Tangerines travelled to play Frome Town – currently riding high in fifth place in the Southern League South Division – with a strong squad and they acquitted themselves well.  

Manager Tim Legg brought Mark Cornish and Kelson Pollard into his starting line up with Nathaniel Groom moving to lead the attack but the team got off to the worst possible start conceding a goal in 22 seconds.  

Cornish was dispossessed trying to see the ball out of play and the ball was crossed where the unmarked Owen Humphries was on hand to slot home.  

Wellington struggled initially with the increased pace, with Humphries in particular proving difficult to handle, but gradually got into the game and were able to test MacIntosh Boyd, on loan from Bristol City, in the Frome goal.  

Playing up the slope they were, however, under considerable pressure but defended stubbornly with Harley Wilkinson once again looking a very good acquisition in goal.  

Laurant Davis-Wilson came closest for Frome but was thwarted by a last ditch tackle and half-time arrived with the score remaining 1-0.

Frome had their full squad out on the night but if they thought they were in for an easy ride they were mistaken and the visitors started to test their resolve with better possession.

When Joe Wragg took the ball into the box and turned his marker an outstretched boot sent him tumbling with the referee quickly pointing to the spot. Sam Towler despatched the penalty to level the scores in the 55th minute.  

Jamie Nicholson replaced Pollard but seven minutes later Frome regained the lead when Humphries had his header saved by Wilkinson at the far post but the ball fell to Jamie Adams to poke home.

Their joy was shortlived as, less than two minutes later, Groom chased a through ball and a Frome defender was this time guilty of trying to shepherd the ball out and caught in possession as Groom took the ball from him and fed Wragg who was able to shoot home.  

Jake Quick replaced Groom as play continued to swing from end to end but it was Frome who again broke the deadlock when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the box and George Rigg brought a good save from Wilkinson but again the ball rolled loose for Jack Witcombe to pounce and score.  

Wellington refused to lie down with Hasham Asraf replacing Glen Wright with minutes remaining and from a corner Tom Stone was desperately unlucky when he beat the keeper only for Rigg to head off the line with the final whistle coming to the home side’s relief.

A much better performance from Wellington which they will hope to carry into their league programme which continues away to bottom club Bitton on Saturday.