Devon and Exeter League Division One: Wellington Reserves 0, Uni of Exeter 3rds 3

A disappointing result for our Reserves as they suffered their first league defeat of the season at the Playing Field on Tuesday night.

Early indications were good as the home side started brightly in front of a bumper crowd, playing some neat cohesive football, and asking questions of the visitors’ resolve – it felt it would only be a matter of time before we achieved our rewards of getting the ball into the net.

However, the young and well organised visitors held strong and extinguished wave after wave of attack, with the closest effort coming from a direct free kick from striker Luke Perry from the edge the penalty box which brushed the bar. 

A rare foray into Tangerine territory on 33 minutes saw a cross ricochet off an outstretched shin to fall into the path of a Uni player who shot into the far corner to take the lead against the run of play. 

Playing up the slope in the second half the Tangerines could not create any clearcut openings despite their endeavour, losing Ollie Nott to injury on 55 minutes resulted in a reduction of creativity via the attacking midfield role. 

Both sides wrestled for the ball, with the very capable visitors capitalising on two defensive errors midway into the half placing the ball past the exposed keeper Charlie Hawkings who had a fine game, especially with ball distribution, on his debut.

A disappointing result which flattered the visitors, but lots of positives for all in a tangerine shirt to take into their next league fixture away at Chard Town Reserves on Saturday, October 15th.

Thanks to Ellie of the Green Dragon and Conway Cladding for sponsoring the game.

Team: Charlie Hawkings, Connor Noble, Mark Owen (Capt), Jamie Fleet, Tom Davies, Oliver Nott, Clay Wescott, Wesley Poulsom, Rohan Poulsom, Luke Perry, Jordan Sellick. Substitutes: Lloyd Manning (for Nott), Logan Sellick (for Wes Poulsom), Dylan Groves (for Jordan Sellick); Jake Nichol and Adam Watson (not used).