Western Counties Floodlit Youth League: Wellington U18s 0 Bishop Lydeard U18s 3

Wellington U18s suffered another defeat at home to league leaders and title favourites Bishops Lydeard on Tuesday (February 28th).

Although they lost, the Wellington lads gave a good account of themselves against a very good footballing team.

The game started with the Tangerines using the same formation as in the previous game, against opponents who have won every match this season.

Wellington started the game well but were rocked when Lydeard took the lead with almost their first attack. A well-worked corner found its way to an unmarked midfielder, just outside the box, and he made no mistake, firing a powerful drive just inside the post.

Despite this they started knocking the ball around well, and the back four of James Clarke, Ned Ogilvie, Dylan Sellick and Dylan Groves provided a solid base for the team and marshalled the dangerous Lydeard frontline.

Wellington keeper Sam Harcombe made some routine saves and distributed the ball well, mixing short and long balls to good effect. This enabled Wellington to hold their own and some good freekicks from Ogilvie kept the Lydeard defence on their toes.

Wellington almost equalised just before half-time, when a good run by Matt Brereton ended in him having his initial drive blocked and his follow-up hitting the bar.

Lydeard were always dangerous and the Wellington midfield five of Ryan Corbett, Ben Fowler, Josh Sibanda and Sam Snook had to put in lots of running to keep them at bay.

Just as it looked like this hard work going to keep them out, a lapse in defence allowed a Lydeard player to run free and he expertly chipped Harcombe. Wellington went in trailing, a little unluckily, by two goals to nil.

The second half started in a similar fashion with Lydeard grabbing a third from their first attack.

Going three goals down so early, the Wellington lads could have let their heads drop, but they continued to battle and gave their opponents a good game.

They nearly pulled a goal back when the hardworking Groves burst into the box, but his shot went wide.

All of the team continued to perform well as a unit and, as time ran out, changes were made to relieve tired legs with Jon Wasey, Sean Conway, Josh Moore, Reggie Dursten and Milo Harding entering the fray.

All of them got up to speed quickly and played their part in keeping the game competitive. There were a few half chances at either end, but the final whistle arrived without any further scoring.

The Wellington players were disappointed at the end but can hold their heads high after giving a very strong team a tough evening.

This was Wellington’s last home of the season, and the lads would like to thank the supporters who have turned up every week to encourage the lads.

They conclude their campaign with two away games at Welton Rovers and Frome.

Man-of-the-match: Ned Ogilvie.

Match sponsor: AJ Carpentry, Wellington.

Food sponsor: Ellie at The Green Dragon.