Somerset County Women’s League:  Bath City Ladies 2, Wellington Ladies 0

Following their recent home victory against Bishops Lydeard, our Ladies were on the road for their furthest and last away game of the league campaign as they travelled to play newly-formed Bath City Ladies.

The opening minutes of the match were shakey for Wellington as goalkeeper Hannah Worth was kept busy by Bath’s pacy forwards and their initial efforts on goal- a wake-up call for the Tangerines.

Once Wellington settled themselves at the back, skipper Marie Barrow had Wellington’s first chance of the afternoon, striking the side netting from a tight angle. This gave Wellington some confidence to put together a few more opportunities but unfortunately none resulted in a goal. Early questionable referring decisions put both sides under pressure from multiple set pieces as the first half reached its closing stages, and Wellington had the best chance from these but, again, the opportunity went begging.

As the second half began, both sides put in a great battle and entertained the spectators despite the lack of goals.

Wellington were denied a penalty after the hour mark as Maisie Waygood was brought down in the six-yard-box but the match officials didn’t deem it a foul.

It was left to Bath to get the first goal of the afternoon just after the 75-minute mark as a mis-hit cross floated its way over keeper Worth and into the back of the net. Yet more misfortune for Wellington Ladies to add to the catalogue from this season so far.

Despite the clear frustration, Wellington pushed for their equaliser with Barrow, Ash Grabham-White and Sara Yateman all creating superb chances, just without the end result.

With time running out, it looked like Wellington only had a couple more attempts at an equaliser.

As they pushed and pushed, Bath cleared the ball over the Wellington defence into the path of a home striker, who knocked the ball around Worth and slotted home their second. Questions were raised after the goal as the linesman kept their flag raised signalling offside but the match official ruled out the call. 

Despite the second goal, Wellington kept pushing, striking the post through a brilliant effort from Yateman, until the final whistle. 

Although Wellington were dealt a difficult hand, they stay positive and optimistic that they have the ability to grab a decent number of points in the remaining three games of the season.

Speaking after the game, Bath City manager Matt Abreu said that despite the result, Wellington gave Bath the most challenging home game they’ve had so far this season, highlighting how far the Ladies have come.

Next up, Wellington host Paulton Rovers Ladies Reserves at the Playing Field on Sunday.

Player-of-the-Match: Katy Hussey.