Somerset Senior Cup: Welton Rovers Reserves 3, Wellington Reserves 3 (Welton win 5-3 on penalties)

The Reserves were on the road again on Saturday with an away cup fixture at Welton Rovers Reserves.

The game started well despite the long coach journey and the boys come out the blocks quickly.

They were putting the Welton defence under a lot of pressure and got a goal on the five-minute mark from a Conor Noble header whipped in from the corner by Oli Nott.

However, a bit of sloppy defending and bad marking gave the home team the opportunity to get one back on the 15th minute.

Shortly after, player-manager Mark Owen was the victim of a very bad tackle but the culprit escaped with a yellow card.

The boys responded well with Jack Lewis playing some lovely balls into Jordan Sellick down the left and Wes Poulsom putting in his 100% effort shift as always.

Their hard work paid off as they grabbed the next goal from Aaron Merry but, just before the break, the Wellington defence switched off again and Welton pulled back another sloppy goal.

A bit deflated, they went into the changing rooms for a good team talk and tactical formation change from coach Tom Hawkings.

The new formation was working well with Welly having most of the possession and playing some neat football but a sin bin for the Welly side left them with ten men for ten minutes and Welton grabbed a goal from a set piece to lead 3-2.

Hawkings made changes on the 70 minute mark and it worked immediately. The introduction of Jordon Mace, new signing Alfie Barratt, Sam Poole and young Dylan Groves was the injection of fresh legs what the boys needed with all four going close to scoring.

It was young Dylan who got the equaliser with a lovely finish from a loose ball in the Welton box.

Immediately after, Owen played a pass back to the in-form Charlie Hawkings to receive another horrific tackle, which resulted in a straight red for the Welton player and a yellow for Owen for simulation.

With the Welton side down to ten men it was game on and Welly dominated with Welton on the back foot but, in fairness, putting their bodies on the line, defending well and they held Wellington out for a draw.

The game went straight to penalties and the Wellington side missed one to see, Welton run out 5-3 winners.

Despite the result, the lads should hold their heads high as they played well against an in-form, well organised Welton Reserves and were unfortunate to lose.

Team: C Hawkings, M Owen, T Davies, A Markham, J Lewis, W Poulson, O Nott, C Noble, J Sellick, A Hawkings, A Merry. Subs: S, Poole, A Barratt, J Mace, D Groves (used); D Healy (not used). Technical Area: T Hawkings and A Ridgeway.

BELOW: Despite the result, the Reserves were in good spirit for their fun bus home. They are pictured with the retired number three shirt of the late Lloyd Manning who will never be forgotten.