Stitch2Print Devon & Exeter League Division One: Wellington Reserves 3, Bow Athletic 2

After the disappointment of going out of the Somerset Senior Cup on penalties, it was back to league action for our Reserves.

Playing a team they had lost to home and away last season, it was always going to be a tough game with some key players unavailable and playing in extreme warm weather.

The Reserves started really well, creating many opportunities with Jordan Mace causing problems down the wing, but they were unable to convert these opportunities into goals.

Bow, playing with three up front, tried to break quickly at every opportunity but the Wellington defence of Mark Owen, Tom Davies, Adam Markham and Dylan Groves dealt well with the Bow attack with keeper Charlie Hawkings having very little to do in the first 30 minutes.

Then a slip by one of the Wellington central defenders led to a Bow attacker running clear from 30 yards to slot neatly past Hawkings.

Wellington kept calm from this setback and, with Oliver Nott pulling the strings in midfield, it led to a goal very quickly from a corner headed in at the far post by Tom Davies.

With the score at 1-1 and the game drifting to half-time Bow scored a goal out of nowhere – a quick cross from the right went right across goal with the Wellington defenders standing and it left a Bow player at the back post to bend down and head home, leaving Hawkings with no chance.

Amazingly straight from the kick Wellington broke clean through on goal and with at least two players only needing to beat the Bow keeper but the chance was missed and that was the last opening  of the first half.

Wellington started the second  half up the hill very brightly but some good saves from the Bow keeper and more missed chances the game meant it stayed 2-1 to the visitors as the game dipped, probably due to the heat.

With a water break,  it was a good opportunity for Michael Owen – managing the team with Tom Hawkings on holiday and Mark playing – and Ken Pearson to make some tactical/ player changes and bring in fresh legs.

With 15 minutes to go some really good play by Alfie Barratt chasing down a lost cause, saw him  he pinch the ball off the Bow defender and slip it past the keeper for the equaliser.

With five minutes to go, Wellington won a free kick on the right wing and, with an excellent cross, Davies met the ball with a fantastic header to give the keeper no chance and put Wellington 3-2 up.

Wellington played well to see out the game, even hitting the post with a 20 yard drive from Aaron Merry in added time.

Man of the Match was Davies who received the award from Steve Trevelyan.

Team: Charlie Hawkings, Dylan Groves, Mark Owen, Tom Davies, Adam Markham, Connor Noble, Oliver Nott, Jordan Mace, Aaron Merry, Alfie Barratt, Jordan Sellick. Substitutes: Dom Healey, Ned Ogilve, Sam Poole, Bradley Holmans (all used).

Match Day Sponsor – JAB Electrical Supplies.

Home Games Sponsor – Conway Cladding Ltd.