Stitch2Print Devon & Exeter League division one: Wellington Reserves 0, Newtown 2nds 1

Our Reserves went into this game unbeaten and top of league one.

After last week’s fine performance in beating the previous leaders, Mark Owen was forced to change the team with central defender Adam Markham pulling out ill in the morning.

Wellington again started slowly and struggled to pass the ball about which has been a feature of the previous last two home games. This has been a frustration for Owen as they have dominated all their away games, winning by playing some excellent football.

Wellington created some excellent opportunities, but chance after chance went begging.

The visitors had a game plan to frustrate Wellington and tried to break at any chance – it was one of these breaks which led to the only goal.

A Newtown player picked the ball up just inside the Tangerines’ half on the right and just kept running with Wellington having three chances to tackle and clear.

But as the ball broke into the box, the Newtown player shot past Charlie Hawkings in goal – half-time 0-1.

After a team talk and some tactical changes, Wellington started the stronger of the two teams and began creating more chances but again failed to convert.

With 15 minutes gone of the second half, Wellington had a free kick on the left of the box which was swung over to the far post and, with a Newtown player climbing over Connor Noble, the ref awarded a penalty.

Aaron Merry stepped up to take the kick but the keeper was able to change direction and collect the ball.

Owen made four changes, including bringing himself on, to help as the penalty miss seemed to take its toll on the lads.

Wellington kept pushing and Newtown kept breaking but Hawkings kept the score at 1-0 with some last-gasp saves.

Wellington thought they had an equaliser when Ollie Nott collected the ball 25 yards out, drove forward to the edge of the box and hit a shot which rebounded back off the post with the keeper just standing and watching it.

No matter how hard Wellington tried, it was not to be and, with the game in injury time, Tom Davies picked up a second yellow card and was sent off.

Despite a disappointing afternoon, the Reserves are still top of the table.