Les Phillips Cup second round: Wellington 2, Ilfracombe Town 3

Wellington bowed out of the Les Phillips Cup as they were undone by a second-half fightback from Ilfracombe Town at the Playing Field tonight (Wednesday. October 25th).

The Tangerines looked on course to end a run of three defeats when they led 2-0 after the break but the visitors from North Devon struck three times to earn a trip to Bridgwater United in the next round.

Manager Richard Cherry, who was without key players for the 5-0 defeat at Clevedon Town on Saturday, was able to field a stronger line-up including Josh Baker and Douglas Camilo, both jointly registered with Willand Rovers of the Southern League.

In the third meeting between the sides this season, the first half was entertaining with chances at both ends. Home skipper Tom Stone thumped a header against the bar while, at the other end, keeper Shay Allen produced a flying save to deny Tyler Evans-Loude.

But it was Wellington who broke the deadlock shortly before half-time when Baker crossed for Lewis Jennings to make no mistake from eight yards.

The Tangerines extended their lead only two minutes into the second half with an early contender for goal of the season.

Camilo came out with the ball from a midfield melee and advanced on goal before letting flying from more than 30 yards, leaving keeper Laurence McCormick clutching at air as the ball flew into the top corner.

That was the signal for Ilfracombe to take the game to Wellington and they drew level after 55 minutes, Evans-Loude crossing for Jack Margarotto to slide the ball home.

The visitors had a ‘goal’ disallowed and Allen produced a stunning save to deny Gabriel Rogers but, shortly afterwards, they drew level with a cross from the right being bundled over the line by Evans-Loude.

Wellington were desperately unlucky not to regain the lead on 76 minutes when sub Flynn Smith saw a fierce drive smack against the upright.

However, five minutes later, Ilfracombe produced the winner and it was scored by Dan Wilson, their hat-trick hero in a 3-1 win at the Playing Field just over a week earlier. The home defence failed to clear their lines and Wilson sent an unstoppable shot flying past Allen.

To complete Wellington’s misery, they had young defender Ryan Hibbert sent off for a second yellow card with six minutes remaining.

Wellington: Shay Allen, James Cottrill, Tom Stone, Ryan Hibbert, Mark Cornish, Lewis Jennings, Kieran Ireland, Josh Lukins, Douglas Camilo, Tom Burt, Josh Baker. Substitutes: Flynn Smith, Rohan Poulsom and Jacob Pickavant (used); Ryan Brereton and Jordan Hayman (not used).

The Tangerines will look to get back to winning ways on Saturday (October 28th) as they return to league action with another home game, this time against newly promoted Brixham.