Toolstation League premier division: St Blazey 5, Wellington 3

Wellington AFC failed to end their run of defeats in Cornwall yesterday (Saturday, November 11th) despite scoring three goals for the first time in the league this season.

Manager Richard Cherry was able to welcome back winger Sully McKenna, who has rejoined the club from Street, and key midfielder Glen Wright, fresh from a trip to Australia.

And his side got off to a promising start, playing some slick football and going ahead after 16 minutes.

Tom Burt’s free kick into the home area dropped to defender Jordan Hayman and the defender swivelled to shoot home from 12 yards.

However, the Tangerines then lost their way as St Blazey took control and built up a 3-1 lead by half-time.

They equalised after 23 minutes through Ryan Downing with the visitors appealing in vain for offside in the build-up – the protests afterwards led to skipper Tom Stone being sin binned.

St Blazey took the lead 14 minutes later with a glorious curler from out wide by Owen Pritchard and then Luke Cloke raced clear to beat Shay Allen just before the break.

The home side also had a player sin binned early in the second half, but Wellington could not take advantage and they then went down to ten men for the rest of the game as Hayman was shown a straight red for a bad tackle.

When Sam Clifton drove home St Blazey’s fifth after 75 minutes it looked all over but Ryan Brereton pulled one back when he headed home from a James Cottrill cross.

In the closing minutes, Cloke headed his second to restore St Blazey’s three-goal lead.

But, to their credit, Wellington weren’t finished and McKenna raced clear for their third goal before the final whistle.

Wellington: Shay Allen, Mark Cornish, Lewis Jennings, Jordan Hayman, Tom Stone, Glen Wright, Sully McKenna, Kieran Ireland, Ryan Brereton, Josh Lukins, Tom Burt. Substitutes: Jacob Pickavant, James Cottrill, Flynn Smith, Josh Young (all used); Rhys Williams (not used).

Our Reserves went down 3-1 at home to leaders St Martins in division one of the Stitch2Print Devon & Exeter League, Rohan Poulsom scoring their goal from the penalty spot.

The A team’s game was called off because of a waterlogged pitch.

Photos courtesy of the Around Wellington news and sport website.