Stitch2Print Devon & Exeter League division one: University of Exeter 3rds 0, Wellington Reserves 1

Our Reserves got back to winning ways with an excellent performance in Exeter on Saturday (November 25th).

Man-of-the-match was Aaron Hawkings, centre. He is pictured with Wellington rugby players who supported the side because they were without a game.

They had a huge task ahead of them at the Uni side are a challenge to any team, particularly with a difficult surface.

Some stern words from manager Mark Owen, a team talk from senior player Aaron Hawkings and the voice of captain Tom Davies leading out from the back were the kick the team needed.

Despite the young, fit and well drilled Uni side playing some great football and keeping the ball for long periods in the first half, the boys gave them nothing.

The home side struggled to find a way through the solid back four of Ned Ogilvie, Dylan Groves, Connor Noble and Davies.

When in possession, the Welly team were steady, keeping hold of the ball with Aaron Hawkings and Oli Nott dictating play and Wes Poulsom giving everything on the right wing.

A shout out goes to young Lenny Old who made his first start for the Reserves and turned in a solid performance which boosted his hopes of earning a regular spot in the starting 11.

The return of Alfie Barratt up top was something the Reserves have missed – a strong energetic senior player who created chances and brought the other striker, Luke Perry, into the game.

Despite the boys doing well, it was a very even game which could have gone either way with chances missed from the home side who did not seem to tire.

The fresh legs of Dom Healy, Aaron Merry and Joey Conway jnr were introduced and it was what the team needed.

In the last ten minutes of the game, the Welly side peppered the home team’s goal and eventually made the breakthrough.

After several corners in a row, Perry’s inswinger was met at the back post by a rising Davies, and was headed across goal for Aaron Hawkings to head home in the 90th minute.

All the boys had to do was hold out for three minutes and that’s exactly what they did to get the result they needed.

A superb performance from the lads and a great response.

This Saturday the Reserves host Teignmouth 2nds at at the Playing Field.