Toolstation League premier division: Wellington 2, Shepton Mallet 2

Wellington’s game v Shepton Mallet yesterday (Saturday, February 10th) was marred by a serious injury to visiting keeper Tom Roberts which brought proceedings to a premature end.

Our man-of-the-match was new signing Kieran Bailey and he received the award from club secretary Jane Brown on behalf of match sponsors A J Shire Electrical and SAolar Services.

Four minutes into added time, he was involved in an accidental collision with home sub Gabriel Plant and is believed to have sustained a broken tibia and fibula.

The referee ended with match – which was 2-2 at the time – while an ambulance was called to take Roberts, on loan at Shepton from Frome Town,  to hospital.

Everyone sends their best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery.

Earlier, Wellington had fought back from 2-0 down for the second week running to get back on terms with in-form Shepton.

Manager Richard Cherry gave a debut to recently signed defender Kieran Bailey, later named man-of-the-match, while their bench included former Exeter City wide man Joe Wragg who has rejoined the club from Weymouth U23s.

There was a cagey opening to the game before Shepton went ahead after 26 minutes as striker Charlie Bateson burst clear to shoot in off the post.

Wellington nearly equalised two minutes into the second half when a 30-yard free kick by Sam Towler smacked against the upright.

But Shepton then doubled their lead four minutes later, Bateson pouncing on a back pass to round keeper Jake Viney and net.

As at Welton the previous week, that was the signal for Cherry to switch to three at the back and again the move paid dividends.

They reduced the arrears after 69 minutes as a long free kick by Nathan Byrne was headed on by Josh Baker for Miles Quick to run in and poke the ball past Roberts.

Wellington were now in control and they drew level ten minutes later with a speculative cross from the left by Josh Lukins sailing over Roberts and dropping into the net.

The league has since confirmed that the result will stand.

Wellington: Jake Viney, Mark Cornish, Kieran Bailey, Tom Stone, Nathan Byrne, Miles Quick, Glen Wright, Sam Towler, Josh Lukins, Ryan Brereton, Josh Baker. Substitutes: Joe Wragg, Ryan Hibbert, Lewis Jennings, Gabriel Plant, Sully McKenna (all used).

Next up for the Tangerines is a Somerset Premier Cup quarter-final away to Larkhall Athletic of the Southern League on Wednesday.

Our Reserves’ match away to Bow Athletic fell victim to a waterlogged pitch while the A team lost 2-1 away to Middlezoy Rovers Athletic with Sean Conway scoring their goal and Robbie Walker named man-of-the-match.

Photos courtesy of the Around Wellington news and sport website.