Toolstation League premier division: Wellington 2, Oldland Abbotonians 1

Wellington came from behind to pick up their second successive win at the Playing Field yesterday (Saturday, March 23rd), writes Jeff Brown.

Our man-of-the-match was defender Kieran Bailey who is pictured with match sponsor, Jason Hawkings of JH Total Construction Ltd. Photo by Rob Hall.

The Tangerines have only been beaten once in their past six league games and are now up to 14th in the table which you can see by CLICKING HERE.

Wellington were forced to make changes following their abandoned game against Street last Wednesday, when centre-forward Ryan Brereton incurred a double fracture to his right leg.

Alex Cherry was pushed forward to lead the attack and Lewis Jennings returned to the team to replace Joe Wragg, who was missing through illness.

The game started badly with the visitors taking the lead after only two minutes. A throw out from keeper Andy Collings was easily intercepted and Wellington had several attempts to clear the ball before it found Tom Blake on the right of the penalty area and his shot went across the goal into the far corner.

Later in the half, Collings made amends when he came out of his box to head a long ball clear under pressure.

The home team, playing down the slope but struggling against a strong head wind, were unable to create any clearcut chances and managed only two efforts from dead ball situations which were off target.

Oldlands could have doubled their lead when Blake, who looked lively throughout, latched on to a through ball but shot tamely wide.

Josh Young replaced Jennings at the start of a second half which saw the wind die down and a complete reversal of the first period as Wellington dominated the play for long periods.

Sam Towler had two opportunities to level the scores, getting on the end of crosses from the right with both his shot and headed efforts finding Olly Phillips in the opposing goal.

Shortly after, a corner was headed on to skipper Tom Stone and his header rebounded off the bar before being cleared.

His fellow defender Mark Cornish was pushing forward and, after 66 minutes, he picked up a cross from Jack Bown-Porter and his shot, from the edge of the box, squirmed past Phillips into the net.

Rohan Poulsom replaced Bown-Porter as the home team stepped up the pressure with Ryan Hibbert and Danny Wordsworth then replacing Sully McKenna and Alex Cherry respectively while the visitors were reduced temporarily to ten men with the sin binning of Cash Vinall.

With only three minutes of normal time remaining, Poulsom drove into the penalty area only to be brought down with the referee awarding a penalty. Oldland were reduced to nine with left-back Jack Mills also being sent to the sin bin for his protest.

Towler stepped up to smash an unstoppable spot-kick into the top left-hand corner and Wellington were able to see out the remaining minutes to secure another valuable three-point haul after a battling display in the second half.

Wellington: Andy Collings, Mark Cornish, Tom Stone, Kieran Bailey, Jack Bown-Porter, Sully McKenna, Glen Wright, Josh Lukins, Sam Towler, Lewis Jenning, Alex Cherry. Substitutes: Josh Young, Rohan Poulsom, Danny Wordsworth, Ryan Hibbert (used); Jake Viney (not used).

Match photos courtesy of Gill Paltridge from the Around Wellington news and sport website.