Devon and Exeter League: Newton St Cyres 0, Wellington Reserves 2

Our Reserves made it four wins out of four to stay top of the Division One (West) table.

With a slightly-changed squad due to first team call ups and unavailable players, Wellington took a little more time to settle than in previous weeks.

Cyres were organised and well drilled and gave their visitors no time and space and were full of running off the ball. But the Reserves showed enough commitment to withstand the opening high tempo pressure and soon started to gain a stronger foothold in the game.

It was Wellington who created the first real clearcut chance in the 20th minute. Josh Baker linked well with strike partner Rohan Poulsom, flicking the ball around the corner for Poulsom. Central and 20 yards from goal, Poulsom hit a sweet volley that was saved well from the home custodian.

But next it would be the turn of keeper Rob Hall to come to the rescue for his team. A neat Cyres break down the left was squared to the penalty spot and after a great first touch, the Cyres striker smashed his shot low for what looked like the inevitable opening goal of the game. But Halls reaction was top drawer and at full stretch pushed the shot somehow around the post and out for corner.

The opening goal eventually arrived in the 35th minute. A quick free kick sent the tireless Liam Thorne clear down the right. The sweeper keeper came out thinking he could clear his lines, but Thorne’s pace and tenacity meant he won the race. His immediate cross was headed clear, but landed at the trusted right foot of Jake Nichol whose first time 12 yard volley gave the visitors the lead.

After this Wellington were looking most likely to get the next goal, but Cyres defended well and at half time the score remained 1-0.

Logan Sellick replaced goal getter Nichol at the break and the second half was definitely a clear points win for Welly.

Aaron Hawkings’ 20 yard shot was the first to test the keeper, who pushed it away for a corner on 51 minutes. Playing sharper, quicker football than in the first period, they left their opponents with very little time on the ball and began to take control of possession.

A second goal for Wellington was the only obvious outcome, but still they had to work for it. After some near misses, Thorne went closest to increasing Welly’s lead on 58 minutes. His right footed 12 yard shot was saved well by the home keeper … a chance he will feel he should have taken.

Two minutes later Baker ran clear. As he approached the box he squared to Poulsom. His cleanly struck goalbound shot was pushed out for a corner. It was from the resulting corner that Wellington extended their lead. Man of the match Danny Nicholls rose highest and cleverly headed down for Poulsom who in turn despatched the killer blow with a close range finish.

Wellington continued to be in the ascendency in the main, always looking the most likeliest to score the third goal of the game. Fresh legs were introduced with Cam Perry-Jones replacing Hawkings on 69 minutes. The young midfielder looked at ease with the step up from the A team, impressing all with his workrate and general all round game.

Luke Perry continued his return with an appearance in the 75th minute. He replaced the ever reliable veteran Matt Holmes, who put in another decent display at the heart of the midfield.

Wellington would see the game out at a canter, restricting Cyres to only a few wildly audacious and frustrated long shots late on.

All in all a good day for the Ressies, especially for the defensive unit who worked particularly well throughout. Owen, Fleet and Nicholls were tremendous early doors and made sure they stayed on top and provided the platform for the victory and, more importantly, the clean sheet they’ve been striving for.

On Saturday, the reserves are home to Alphington (3pm) … all welcome to come watch and enjoy this blossoming team.

Taunton Saturday League: Westonzoyland 7, Wellington A 0

Our A team travelled to top of the table Westonzoyland with the potential new management present and watching.

As has happened a couple of times this season already, Wellington started slowly and found themselves behind fairly early on.

The game wasn’t the most exciting to watch with the visitors creating only two or three half chances through Aaron Merry and Westonzoyland scoring most of their goals from free kicks and corners.

It just wasn’t to be against a good footballing side in Westonzoyland and the lads move on to Saturday as they face champions Fivehead away for a 2.30pm kick-off.