Toolstation League premier division: Buckland Athletic 6 Wellington 1

Manager Tim Legg made several changes from the team which had done so well in obtaining a draw at Mousehole against a Buckland side who had gained an impressive 4 -3 victory away to Bridgwater United at the weekend.

Chandler Hallett came into goal to replace Connor Sidley-Adams, Jack Bown-Porter at left back in place of Jack Lewis, skipper Glen Wright in midfield replacing Jamie Vaughan-Ryall and Josh Baker up front for Rohan Poulsom and a good competitive game was expected.

Unfortunately Wellington were unable to get a foothold in the game as their opponents’ sharpness, work off the ball and slick passing put them under pressure, forcing them to make mistakes which cost them dear as Buckland’s attack force demonstrated clinical finishing when the opportunity occurred.

After only ten minutes, Wellington lost possession from a free-kick on the halfway line and a swift forward movement saw Cieron Bridger able to turn and shoot into the corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Wellington were stunned but tried to hit back and Jake Quick pulled the ball back to Harry Gardner but his well-struck shot was straight at the keeper.

Richard Groves broke forward for the home team on 20 minutes only to shoot well wide but Buckland were soon on the attack again and the pressure told when Nathan Cooper was left to score from close quarters.

The game was virtually over on the half-hour a Wellington pass was intercepted and Charlie Johansen ran forward to shoot into the corner, giving Hallett no chance.  Wellington manage to pull a goal back when a Wright cross beat Andy Collins in goal and was turned into the net off a home defender and the post.

Wellington persisted with the same formation but found themselves further behind seven minutes after the restart when a corner from the left was headed goalward by full-back Frazer Clark and found its way into the far corner through a crowded goalmouth.

A few minutes later, Hallett was forced to make a good save from a fine effort by Cooper and the visitors nearly reduced the arrears when good play between Sam Towler and Jake Quick saw the latter’s cross headed off the line with the keeper beaten.

Vaughan-Ryall replaced Wright but Wellington were unable to make an impression and, in the closing stages, Buckland added further goals when, on 73 minutes, Johansen set up Cooper to score with a well-placed shot and, just before the end, Cooper completed his hat-trick from close-in following a period of pressure.

Jordan Casey replaced Tom Stone after Buckland’s fifth goal.