Toolstation League premier division: Clevedon Town 4, Wellington 3

Our first team found themselves on the wrong end of a remarkable fightback as they were beaten by Clevedon Town yesterday (Saturday, 27th).

The Tangerines led 3-1 going into the final five minutes and looked odds-on to end a run of straight defeats.

But, in a crazy end to the game, Clevedon struck three times before the final whistle to steal the points.

The visitors went close after 16 minutes as we broke quickly and keeper Charles Lovell pulled off a fine diving save from Jake Quick’s shot.

Clevedon failed to heed the warning and, on 20 minutes, Lovell was unable to hold on to a deep cross and one their former players Nathaniel Groom – back from suspension – pounced on the loose ball to score his first of the season.

We sought to press home our advantage and Lovell saved another Groom shot from Jason Quick’s cross, then was out quickly to smother a ball into the box before Jake Quick hit the outside of the post.

Clevedon survived the onslaught and equalised when Callum Eastwood sneaked in round the back to score with a diving header from Mitch Osmond’s cross.

Both sides had their chances until Clevedon again fell for a quick break when Groom set up Jack Bown-Porter to slide the ball past Lovell and put the visitors 2-1 up.

It could have been worse right on half-time when Groom was put clean through, but Lovell spread himself well to save with his foot and Callum Kingdon was on hand to clear Miles Quick’s follow-up.

After the break, we enjoyed a good spell. Stefan Phillips shot over and Lovell saved from Bown-Porter after Miles Quick set him up, before there was an almighty goalmouth scramble from a corner.

Another quick break then caught Clevedon out again as a player went down in the box, with appeals for a penalty waved away, but in the confusion in the crowded area, the ball ended up in the back of the net from Jake Quick and the visitors were 3-1 up with five minutes left.

With nothing to lose Clevedon pushed forward. Freddie King latched on to a through-ball and calmly went past Hawkings to sidefoot home to make it 3-2 with three minutes left.

Shortly afterwards, King was put in on the right and picked out sub Henry Westlake who took his time to control the ball before sidefooting it past Hawkings and, out of the blue, Clevedon were level with a minute left.

The home side completed their fightback in the first minute of added time as another sub Sam Holden-Eastwood found Syd Camper in the box and he held off his marker to slide the ball into the net to seal a 4-3 win for Clevedon.

Wellington: Charlie Hawkings, Mark Cornish, Tom Stone Jason Quick, Alex Cherry, Glen Wright, Nathaniel Groom, Stefan Phillips, Mikes Quick, Jake Quick, Jack Bown-Porter. Subs: Chris Ormerod, Hasham Ashraf, Sam Steel, Josh Wadham.

The Tangerines have a rapid chance to put things right as we are away to Keynsham Town, currently bottom of the table, tomorrow (Monday, 29th) with a 3pm kick-off.

Photos from the Clevedon Town website – see the full gallery by CLICKING HERE.