Toolstation League premier division: Wellington 1 Welton Rovers 0

Wellington gained their first win of the campaign when they won with the only goal of the game against fellow strugglers Welton Rovers at the Playing Field yesterday (Saturday, September 30th).

Man-of-the-match was Glen Wright who received the award from Keith Harcombe on behalf of match sponsors County Roofing.

Assistant player-manager Jack Bown-Porter was unavailable while James Cottrill moved to the bench with both Lloyd Tucker and Miles Quick returning to the line-up. 

Keeper Rhys Willams was forced into an early save to deny the visitors but after that Wellington enjoyed much the better possession. 

Ten minutes in, skipper Tom Stone went close with a superb half-volley from the edge of the box which dipped and clipped the top of the crossbar, and this was followed by Mark Cornish, Ryan Brereton and Nathan Byrne linking up well down the left but Cornish was unable to beat the keeper from close in at the near post.

What should have been a decisive moment came a few minutes later when the referee awarded Wellington a controversial penalty for a push on Byrne but Ryan Brereton put his spot-kick wide of the target. 

Welton were reduced to nine men with a player being sin-binned prior to the kick being taken and another after the event following protests to the referee.

Wellington should have taken advantage and Byrne, Brereton, man-of-the-match Glen Wright and Stone then had opportunities to open the scoring, but it was just before the break that the all-important goal came. 

Cornish and Josh Lukins combined to set up Tom Burt on the edge of the box and his superbly struck half-volley flew into the corner of the net, giving the keeper no chance.

Although the visitors got the ball in the net  20 minutes into the second half only for it to be ruled offside, Wellington continued to dominate possession but all too often their passing let them down or they were unable to capitalise on the chances which came their way. 

Burt and Byrne combined well to set up Brereton, Lukins had a shot well saved and Byrne was again involved to give Brereton a further chance but he was unable to beat the keeper from close in.

Wellington brought on four of their subs in an effort to make the game safe, including new signing Sol Barclay from Dartmouth, but they were unable to increase their lead and the final whistle was greeted with some relief at gaining that all-important first win. 

The visitors capped their afternoon by having yet another player ‘binned’ for dissent.

Team: Rhys Willams, Lloyd Tucker, Mark Cornish, Jordan Hayman, Tom Stone (capt), Glen Wright, Tom Burt, Miles Quick, Ryan Brereton, Josh Lukins, Nathan Byrne.  Subs: James Cottrill, Lewis Jennings, Flynn Smith, Sol Barclay (used), Ryan Hibbert (not used).

Next up for Wellington is a home game v Odd Down in the Somerset Premier Cup on Wednesday, ko 7.45pm.