Stitch2Print Devon & Exeter League division one: Wellington Reserves 1, St Martins 3

On a day when the game was given the go-ahead after a morning pitch inspection, it was going to be a tough test against league leaders St Martins.

Wellington playing down the hill and started the better team but, like previous weeks, wasted chances and this would prove costly in the end.

St Martins grew into the game and it was going to be a battle of the midfields with Aaron Hawkings , Dom Healey and Tom Hawkings playing well with a strong St Martins midfield.

On 20 minutes, a nice move saw Rohan Poulsom pick the ball up and, as he moved into the box, he was tripped by one of the St Martins defenders resulting in a spot kick. Poulsom picked himself up and calmly slotted the penalty past the keeper into the bottom left corner.

The momentum of the game started to shift the home side’s way but again chances went begging to increase the lead.

St Martins always looked dangerous on the break and were unlucky not to equalise from a header that was somehow cleared off the line.

As the game drifted towards half-time, St Martins sent a ball into the box and, with the Wellington keeper and defender both looking at each other to deal it, the St Martins winger took advantage to nip between them and knock the ball home.

This was a setback as Wellington had looked like going into the break leading and in control of the game. Then, with the ref about to blow for half-time, Tom Hawkings was sin binned for a challenge – a questionable decision by the official.

As a result, Wellington started the second half a man down for the opening ten minutes.

Both teams tried to play football on a pitch which started to cut up and the next goal was always going to be vital.

Wellington again missing opportunities to go ahead, St Martins took the lead with 25 minutes left.

They took a corner and, with the ball falling into the box from a flick on, one of their players managed to control the ball, turn and hit a low shot from the centre of the box leaving Charlie Hawkings no chance.

Wellington brought on subs to replace the injured Wes Poulsom and Jordan Mace including Jack Slatter from the U18s coming on for Reserves debut.

St Martins scored a third goal on the break with a fine move resulting in a header past Charlie Hawkings in goal with 15 minutes left.

Wellington kept going but, with no more clear chances coming and the game, drawing to a close, Connor Noble received a second yellow and so was sent off.

Team: Charlie Hawkings, Ned Ogilve, Connor Noble, Dom Healey, Tom Davies, Aaron Hawkings, Wes Poulsom, Tom Hawkings, Rohan Poulsom, Luke Perry, Jordan Mace. Substitutes:  Sam Poole, Jack Slatter, Dylan Groves, Jake Nichol (used); Mark Owen (not used).

Thanks to the match day sponsor – Fox Electrical SW Ltd.