Stitch2Print Devon & Exeter League: Lympstone 1, Wellington Reserves 3

After last week’s home win, it was back on the road for our Reserves with a challenging game at Lympstone who themselves were on a five-match winning run.

The game was played in difficult conditions with a strong wind which was behind Wellington as the game started.

Manager Mark Owen made a couple of changes to last week’s winning side, and they made the stronger start to the game, creating early chances.

After ten minutes, a fine move down the right ended with man-of-the-match Oli Nott driving over an excellent fine cross and, as Rohan Poulsom drove into the box, a Lympstone defended turned the ball into his own net.

The lead was shortlived as Lympstone made a break down the left and their winger swung in a cross. As the ball went over the incoming attacker and defender Ned Ogilvie, the ref blew for a penalty as the home player hit the floor.

After some heated discussions, the penalty was upheld and keeper Charlie Hawkings was desperately unlucky not to save a fine penalty, struck into the corner.

Wellington struck back straight away with Nott again playing a fine ball in between the central defenders for Poulsom to run on and knock it past the keeper – an exciting five minutes with Wellington now 2-1 up.

With the wind really playing a part, Wellington put the home team under all the pressure making many chances and should have increased the lead from one of these chances with Aaron Merry wasting the opportunity.

But the third goal wasn’t far away with and, again, it was the outstanding Nott who played a fine forward pass to Poulsom and he sent an unstoppable shot into the top corner to give Wellington a 3-1 lead at the break.

The second half was always going to be a different game with the wind now in the Wellington players’ faces.

But they were given a clear team talk at the break from Owen and coach Tom Hawkings, who could not have asked for more from their players.

In reality, Wellington created the better chances and, as a team, they defended and battled for every ball.

When the home team did get a chance, Charlie Hawkings in goal was on fine form, keeping Lympstone at bay as the game ended with no more goals and Wellington coming away with a fine win.

Team: Charlie Hawkings, Dylan Groves, Ned Ogilvie, Connor Noble, Tom Davies, Sam Poole, Jordan Mace, Aaron Hawkings, Aaron Merry, Oli Nott, Rohan Poulsom Subs: Luke Perry, Dom Healey (used); Mark Owen, Tom Hawkings (not used).