Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay: Cribbs 5, Wellington 1

Wellington bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup with a heavy replay defeat in Bristol after the home side struck three times in four minutes just before half-time.

Manager Clive Jones made five changes to the starting 11 from the 1-1 draw when the sides first met, bringing in fit-again keeper Josh Mclean, defenders Josh Pearson and Tim Legg, midfielder Glen Wright and striker Joe Wilkinson.

But the game got off to the same start as the wind-ravaged initial meeting – also played at Cribbs after Wellington sacrificed home advantage – with his team falling behind in the opening minutes.

The tie was only four minutes old when a cross from the right found Charlie Aldom unmarked and his shot went into the net with the help of a deflection.

The two sides huffed and puffed for the next half-hour without either creating a clearcut opening and no-one could have predicted that the scoreline would change so dramatically before the break.

Cribbs extended their lead after 39 minutes as a cross from the left was headed on to central defender Jake Hodgson, who took a touch before firing home low past Mclean.

Two minutes later, it was 3-0 and this time it was a cross from the right finding Joe White completely unmarked to head home.

If that wasn’t bad enough, Cribbs made it four almost immediately with another cross from the right coming back off the woodwork to George Kellow, who volleyed it in off the underside of the bar.

Jones decided to introduce all three subs at half-time with Connor Pengelly, Ollie Nott and Paolo Borges replacing Pearson, Joe Chamberlain and Joe Wylie.

But things went from bad to worse two minutes after the restart with a fifth goal for Cribbs. Aldom burst in from the right and slipped the ball through to Kellow who produced a clinical finish past Mclean for his second on the game.

With such a huge margin between the two sides, the second half was something of a non-event although, to their credit, Wellington kept going and created a couple of chances in the latter stages.

They were finally rewarded with a late consolation goal with six minutes remaining. Borges made a fine run down the centre, which ended when he was brought down, and Ian Bellinger smacked home the resulting free-kick off the inside of the right-hand post.

Wellington: Josh Mclean, Josh Pearson, Tim Legg, Sam Jones, Lewis Pocock, Jack Bryant, Glen Wright, Joe Chamberlain, Joe Wylie, Ian Bellinger, Joe Wilkinson. Substitutes: Connor Pengelly, Ollie Nott, Paolo Borges (all used).

PHOTO: Wilkinson was named man-of-the-match by supporter and former first teamer Keith Harcombe.