Somerset Senior Cup: Wells City Reserves 3, Wellington Reserves 0

The Reserves crashed out of the Somerset Senior Cup in a hugely frustrating tie at Wells. The scoreline gave little reflection of the game and overall performance of yet another much-changed lineup.

Lewis Pocock and Josh Pearson returned from the first team to link up with another first teamer Tom Hawkings. With unavailability and injuries, Wellington’s starting 11 saw four changes and it was certainly apparent in the opening 15 minutes.

In the early exchanges, Wellington were too careless too often when in possession and were regularly caught out of position. Wells came out very much on top and grabbed the lead on 12 minutes. A ball over the top looked to be dealt with by Hawkings, but a shove in the back felled the centreback and went unpunished and the home striker bore down on goal. Keeper Rob Hall did well to push him wide but a square ball was eventually put home.

This woke Wellington up and they responded well. Ash Saunders had a great chance from a corner but failed to make sufficient contact and soon after met a low cross from the exceptional Ollie Holman but put it over. Wellington were playing good football and beginning to dominate the ball, but their opposition always looked dangerous on the counter – which proved to be their best weapon.

Josh Hawkings replaced the impressive Jordon Mace after 25 minutes due to injury and five minutes later it became 2-0. A scramble in box after a succession of poor clearances led to close range finish. It was flagged offside, but after consultation with the assistant the goal was given. It could have been worse just before halftime but for an excellent stop from Hall who dived at the feet of an onrushing striker.

The second half was quite simply all Wellington. Paul Pocock replaced the injured Darch on 52 minutes and Wellington took the lion’s share of possession and chances but still could not get the boost of a goal their efforts deserved. Holman, playing one of his best games for the Reserves, looked a constant threat while Saunders went closest, but his back post header from a flicked on corner was cleared off the line.

Luke Woodgate replaced yet another injured player, this time skipper Mark Owen on 70 minutes resulting in a formation change, but still Wellington pressed on, continuing to look the better side.

But eventually their willingness to push forward was punished by a typical Wells counter, the home side scuffing home a match-winning third, which summed up Wellington’s day. To their credit, Wellington tried for a consolation, but it was apparent their luck was simply just not in.