Toolstation League premier division: Helston Athletic 2, Wellington 2

Wellington started life under the new management team of Richard Cherry and Jack Bown-Porter with a stunning fightback away to Helston Athletic today (Saturday, July 29th).

Jamie Nicholson was named as our man-of-the-match and is pictured with supporters Adrian Ridgeway, left, and Daniel Aspin.

With a number of players having left the club during the close season, their starting 11 included three new signings with five more on the bench.

All eight youngsters played their part in an outstanding team display against a side tipped by many to be among the title contenders this season.

There wasn’t much to choose between the teams in the opening 20 minutes but then Wellington suffered a blow as new skipper Ryan Brereton limped off and was replaced by Beckham Pyatt.

It got worse as Helston struck twice in six minutes before the break, going ahead as the ball was played through to Rikki Shepherd and he neatly clipped it past Mike Murphy, standing in as keeper with Shay Allen on holiday.

When the hosts doubled their advantage shortly afterwards – Rubin Wilson tapping home from close range – it left Wellington with a mountain to climb.

But they picked themselves up after the break to knock Helston out of their stride as the hosts’ attacking intent was blunted by some stubborn defending and a couple of smart stops by Murphy.

Despite losing two more players to injury, Wellington gave themselves a glimmer of hope by pulling a goal back just after the hour mark.

Helston failed to clear their lines and debutant James Cottrill’s drive found the net with the help of a wicked deflection.

With six minutes remaining, the Tangerines completed their recovery with a second goal. Striker Rohan Poulsom was felled in the box and assistant boss Bown-Porter stepped up to thump home the resulting penalty.

There was even a twist in the tail during seven minutes of injury time as Helston sub Kai Cornish looked certain to net the winner but dragged his shot wide with several of his teammates throwing themselves to the ground in despair as he missed the target.

The final whistle sounded shortly afterwards to make it a happy coach journey home for the Tangerines’ players, management team and supporters.

Wellington: Mike Murphy, Flynn Smith, Matthew Futcher, Miles Quick, Jack Bown-Porter, Glen Wright, James Cottrill, Ryan Brereton, Jamie Nicholson, Tom Burt, Rohan Poulsom. Subs: Beckham Pyatt, Josh Young, James Rowe, Nico Cottle, Acey Mead (all used).


We wish our new skipper Ryan Brereton a speedy recovery after it was later discovered that he had sustained a fractured ankle.

Dreadful luck so early in the season … all the best, Ryan, from everyone at the club.

Match photos courtesy of the Around Wellington news and sport website.